BENEDICTINE MONASTERY STAY

Tuesday, May 29, 2018

MOUNT SAINT BENEDICT CHAPEL

Voice journal August 30, 2016
6:39 AM

As I played this recording, I was caught off guard. I expected to hear my voice talking but instead I heard the voices of the Benedictine Sisters of Erie at Mount Saint Benedict singing psalms a Capella at morning worship. And memories came flooding back. It was my first visit to the monastery in Erie Pennsylvania. My plan was to use it as a base for exploration. But the next morning - this morning - I decided to go through the day with the sisters and start with morning worship at 6:30 AM. As I sat in the chapel, I was overcome with emotion while listening to them that first morning, and it all flooded back while listening to the beauty of their voices on the recording. That morning, I envisioned the sisters sitting there morning after morning, year after year after year after year starting their day this way - in beautiful song and praise and thanks... and I was overcome with the beauty of it all. The simplicity and soulfulness of it was profound. During this visit, I felt something special take place within myself.... This was the first of many visits, as I found myself called back time and again to make retreat there with the sisters. Each time, my soul became filled and it was so good to connect with different women visiting on retreat. In my later visits, I participated in some of their ministries in the community where they are loved and respected.

Hospitality is a way of life for Benedictines. They often hold formal retreats or welcome travelers or those wishing to pursue a private personal retreat. The rooms are simple and small and share a bath. Meals are taken 3 times a day in the cafeteria and prayer is held 3 times a day in the chapel. There is a suggested donation offering per night stay. To learn more about guest accommodations and hospitality at Mount Saint Benedict, CLICK HERE.

To listen to the voices of the sisters in song, CLICK HERE.




No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!