CREATING LIGHT WITHIN MYSELF

Tuesday, April 10, 2018


When living so firmly and presently in each moment, growth and changes aren’t always noticeable or immediately felt. But as I leave each place that has been home for days or months, and stand in the doorway and look back remembering myself when I entered that space, the growth and changes become boldly apparent. 

The past winter spent in Maine at the artist retreat was quite solitary. The days are so short and the darkness stretched for what seemed like forever. Like the trees gathered outside my windows, my roots stretched downward and inward to find sustenance deep within myself. Winter is a quiet season, but incredible life & change happen below the surface & in the stillness. We all need to learn to quiet ourselves and allow for the growth and rebirth waiting to come, if we have faith and hope. I joined the Y in order to have contact with others and move my body when the snow, and especially ice, made it difficult to hike or snow shoe. I began crafting rituals to ground myself and to create light within… Music was always playing. Each morning I greeted the day with a Morning Ritual Meditation on Insight Timer and then a yoga session. Each evening after returning from my daily hikes down to the sea, at Camden Hills State Park or Birch Point in Owl's Head, I would take long leisurely bubble baths by candle light. Candles were everywhere, and I lit them all every evening creating a magical ambiance you can only enjoy in the darkness. Each clear night I would go out into the endless dark space that surrounded me, and gaze up at the the millions of stars above that I could never see in the city lights. It was breathtaking, and magical and I felt connected to something so much larger than myself and this world. There are riches to be found in stillness & solitude... if we dig deep. This ended up being a very spiritual and profound winter… on my final morning, I awoke to discover sea fog had shrouded the landscape. I walked down to the ocean and did my meditation by the foggy sea. When I returned to my artist retreat apartment, I went into each room and gave heartfelt thanks for my time spent there. As I stood in the doorway, I placed my hand on the wall and left my good thoughts, creative energy & intentions for the next person who would call the space home. The final time I cross the threshold, I place my hand on the door frame and remember all the happiness, creativity  and changes that happened within the walls and give my heartfelt and profound thanks and gratitude for the place, the people, the possibilities and opportunities. This is my leaving ritual...

From Maine, I drove to Erie Pennsylvania to spend Easter at the Benedictine Sisters of Erie (Mount Saint Benedict Monastery). Hospitality, meeting each guest with a prayer, a greeting of peace and a good meal is a Benedictine rule. This monastery has a guest wing with simple rooms to welcome travelers and those on retreat. While here at the monastery, I immerse myself in the routine and spirit of this place beginning with the bells ringing at 6:25 in the morning calling the sisters to morning praise. My heart feels grounded and wiser after being on retreat here...

From there I stopped in my hometown of Westerville, Ohio for quick visits with friends before heading south to Tybee Island, Georgia outside Savannah. I’ve been in the tropical setting 3 days & memories of winter are quickly fading!





Find these (and more) long exposure fine art photography prints HERE IN MY SHOP.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!