A PIECE OF PAPER

Wednesday, May 9, 2018

“I've always felt there is something sacred in a piece of paper that travels the earth from hand to hand, head to head, heart to heart.” 

― Robert Michael PyleSky Time in Gray's River: Living for Keeps in a Forgotten Place




Each day, a common routine and ritual for many of us, is going to check for mail... I mean paper mail. It has been a ritual I miss so very much and took for granted. Since becoming a traveling gypsy for over 500 days, receiving mail has become a special sacred occurrence. People always ask me how I receive mail while on the road traveling so many places.

Before I began this current adventure, a traveling nurse friend told me about a thing called a traveling mailbox. These are companies where you can have a mailing address to receive things that need to be sent to you while on the road - bills, checks, cards... things that can't be done via internet. These companies scan the mail for you to view online and then download and print if you like. They also deposit checks for you. It has been a lifesaver! The company I use is actually called Traveling Mailbox! I picked an address in Florida because I liked the idea of it, being an Ohio girl!

Many traveling nurses, RVers, digital nomads and other wanderers use services that have sprung up for a new population of people who have taken to the road most or all of the time. Since I've been seeking longer stays, I have gotten PO Boxes to actually receive cards and real mail! I have a PO Box in Maine and just got one in Georgia which is my current stop for a while. And for stays of shorter duration, I discovered you can receive mail general delivery at the post office where you are staying.

It's so nice to be able to have an address to give out and look forward to getting mail!

Find my WANDERLUST fine art print from my recent Florida adventure in MY SHOP.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!