GETTING KNOWN

Monday, May 14, 2018



People often ask me how I got to where I am.... wherever that is... where people perceive me to be and how my art has ended up the venues it has. Really what I think people want to know is a step by step cut in stone type of method or guide. I could jot down a list of companies to contact and say you've got to work hard, but it is more than that... It goes to relevancy in today's art market and world. And relevancy changes so quickly. It is a fine balance of being current, relevant and also uniquely individual in a work of copycat and same old same old. Granted there is only so much uniqueness in the art world... but you can always put your own spin on a concept or idea to make it your own - a different color scheme or a different perspective, etc.

But it goes beyond that to tenacity and resilience and continuing on when you think you can't because your energy or inspiration is gone. And then, even beyond that... it is having faith and believing in yourself and your art and then keeping that faith to get you through discouragement. It is the perspective that with each declined submission comes the opportunity to rework art or to try to find a new audience. It is about never giving up. It is living with a mindset of curiosity rather than focusing on fear or failure. That mindset of curiosity should extend beyond creating, and become a way of living. Embracing curiosity is even more tantamount than the idea of following your bliss. Really, it is following your curiosity and living in possibility. It is letting go of the focus on success or achievement and living quite simply in a place of what could happen or what is next. And I think that is how you arrive at success and at happiness.

Voice journal from July 8, 2016
Columbus, Ohio

***** I'm beginning a mentoring service for creatives to navigate the business side of their art and also provice direction and coaching in art. If you would like more information while my blog is undergoing revisions to accommodate this new service, shoot me an email or give me a call. I'd love to hear from you! Workshops will also be in the works later this year!



These still life floral art prints are available in my Etsy shop.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!